2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Verstappen becomes Dutch's first F1 world champion

ABU DHABI – Max Verstappen has achieved his childhood dream: becoming an Formula 1 world champion before turning 25. And that dream became reality, after the 24-year-old Dutchman overtook rival Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) on the final lap of the race after a safety car restart.

The Red Bull Racing driver became the third youngest world champion in F1 history, only behind Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel who won the title at age of 23. Verstappen is also become the 2nd driver onboard with Red Bull Racing to win the title since Vettel.

For the 2nd time since 2016, Lewis Hamilton (pictured in 2017) has lost the world title to a non-Mercedes rival.

"It’s just insane. I mean, my goal when I was little was of course to become a Formula 1 driver and you hope for wins, to be on the podium, when they play the national anthem you one day hope they play yours and then when you stand here and they tell you [that] you are world champion it is something incredible and special" said Verstappen.

"All the things come back through your mind throughout all the years you spent together, traveling for that goal… and everything comes together in the last lap. Insane, these people, my whole team, my family, my friends, the people… who want to push me to where I am today. They’re all here - most of them are here. It’s just insane, I lost my voice, but yes. I don’t know, it just sounds amazing, honestly.

"It’s incredible to see all this orange here but all over the world, they’ve supported me throughout my whole career… and I hope I can do this for a very long time of course with the support of my great fans.

"Lewis (Hamilton) is an amazing driver, an amazing competitor, he really made it really hard for us and everybody loves to see that. Of course the two teams run against each other and we have tough times but I think that’s part of the sport, it’s emotion, everyone wants to win. It could have gone either way today but for sure next year we’ll try again, come back, and hopefully do it all over again."

Now, Verstappen is a new superstar in the making......

Source: 

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Dove Cameron!

2023 year in review: Dove Cameron

Happy Birthday Sabrina Carpenter!