Make It Pop S1 eps. 1 & 2 analysis (Rumors & Roommates/Duet)

The season 1 of Make It Pop officially began on Monday, April 6, 2015, with its first episode, "Rumors and Roommates", which followed by the next episode "Duet". In this article, I will analyze the stories from the first two episodes of Make It Pop, Nickelodeon's hit teen drama co-created by Thomas W. Lynch and Nick Cannon.

A new academic year at Mackendrick Prep High School has just commenced. So many freshmen entered the school, some of them including Sun-Hi Song from Korea, Corki Chang from China, Jodi Mappa from Brooklyn, NY, and Caleb Davis. 

During the assembly at the auditorium, resident advisor Melwood Stark announced that the high school will held an audition for upcoming musical, which he added that freshmen are not allowed to be in the lead. Mr. Stark's decision broke Sun-Hi and Jodi's heart too early as they discovered their new dorm, and their mystery roommate has just arrived being highly guarded by security. 

The next day, Sun-Hi and Jodi met their new friend Caleb, as they asked what Caleb's job is. Caleb told the girls that he's working to redecorate the roller rink into a night club. Later that afternoon, Sun-Hi and Jodi greeted their mystery roommate, who later identified as Corki Chang. However, they introduced Corki in a unusual way, until they still considering that Corki remains unknown roommate.

As the girls headed into their first class, Sun-Hi forgot to carry her phone, but suddenly heard that Corki played violin that leads into a song that the three girls sung together.

- Songs in this episode:
a. Now I Am Here (Superstar)
b. Spotlightz

2. Duet
After performing "Spotlightz" full of mess, Corki felt upset after Jodi and Sun-Hi offered her to join the band that she refused, until Ms. Diona punished the girls to live in seperate single room. As the result, Jodi and Sun-Hi got their first trial from the principal. They must stick together with Corki (mystery roommate) or they will be dropped out from school.

The girls sang "My Girls" to start another new day at school. However, before performing the song, tensions rise as Corki and Sun-Hi confronted each other about their life and future career in front of Jodi.

"Why are you so angry with me? You don't even know me." said Corki.

Sun-Hi furiously replied, "But I know people like you. You're the perfect kid. Good grades, always do what you're told, never wrong. You're the daughter my parents always wanted."
"I'm here because I've been kicked out of every school I ever went to. This is an amazing chance for me to live my life. Live my dream, and make something of myself." Sun-Hi confessed angrily.


Hearing Sun-Hi's reason why "I'm here", Corki admitted, "All my life, I've been told what's best for me, and I've done exactly that. Music lessons, ballet, study hard. I had to be the best, or it wasn't good enough. I'm here, because it's where my father thinks I should be. I just want to do something great with my life."
After hearing the reasons, both the three girls apologized each other and started confidently singing "My Girls".

- Songs in this episode
a. My Girls

- What we learn from this episode?
You can admit to your friend that you have dark past, just like Sun-Hi admitted that she's dropped from any school she had attended. Tell your confession about that worse possible past to your friend, and let your friend motivates you for your better future.

"My Girls" is a song about friendship, which literally means that friends will always united forever: "working in the same team/band and living for the same dreams as well."

- Cast and crew
- Main Cast
a. Megan Lee as Sun Hi Song
b. Louriza Tronco as Jodi Mapa
c. Erika Tham as Corki Chang
d. Dale Whibley as Caleb Davis
- Recurring Cast
a. Matt Baram as Mr. Stark
b. Karen Holness as Ms. Diona
c. John-Alan Slachta as Jared Anderson
d. Taveeta Symanowicz as Valerie Graves
e. Natalie Ganzhorn as Heather Duncan
- Crew
a. Director: Keith Samples
b. Writer: Thomas W. Lynch

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Dove Cameron!

Girl Meets World Complete Series Collection DVD/BluRay

2023 year in review: Dove Cameron